Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Oldest Photographs Of Newcastle NSW


Are these photographs of Newcastle taken some time between 1873 and 1875  the earliest in existence? Very possibly.

Thanks to Ann Hardy for finding these, and to Carol Duncan for broadcasting this story on ABC radio @1233Newcastle 

"In September 2013 I visited the library to look at some of these "Newcastle" photographs, with no further description of what was available I was interested in which parts of Newcastle were shown. What I found were images taken from the usual aspects, from Nobbys Road towards Nobbys, from Christ Church overlooking the harbour, Gaol Hill across Newcastle Beach, and a view looking east towards the city.

What I didn't expect and took me by surprise were how early the photographs were taken, most likely some time between 1870 and 1874. I decided to digitally photograph images as they appeared in the album because I knew they were historically significant and contained important information for future research. I also knew there would be of interest to some in the local Newcastle community."  
See the full story and more photographs at ABC Open



No comments: